Mouth watering and easy Bengali fish curry recipe
Image Source - By senguptahirok - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=40973685
Fish is packed with lot of nutritional benefits, however, the taste varies depending on the way fish is cooked. Fish recipes are common, however, Bengali cook fish in their traditional Style. This article is about an easy fish recipe from Bengali's kitchen.
Do you know that a Bengali cannot have their meal without Fish?
If you travel to West Bengal (Indian State) or visit any Bengali's House, You will definitely find a fish cuisine in their lunch or dinner menu. The interesting fact is, Bengali cook fish in a traditional way for their daily meal, they call it "Macher Jhol". Jhol means a watery gravy, So, let's learn how to cook this simple, quick and easy recipe.
- 500 Grams Fish, You can take any freshwater fish, generally, Bengalis prefer Rohu (Labeo Rohita) or Katla (Catla catla) for their daily meal.
- 2-4 Tomatoes.
- 1" Ginger.
- Garlic, chopped.
- 3-4 Green Chili.
- 2-3 Onion, finely chopped.
- Finely chopped Coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Salt To Taste.
- 1 Tbs Coriander Powder.
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder.
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder.
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds (Methi).
How to Make Bengali Fish Curry:
- First, wash the fish thoroughly under running water, marinate the fish and add salt, turmeric & red chili powder. Also add one teaspoon of vinegar if you do not like the smell of raw fish.
- Mix well & keep aside for sometime.
- Take two cups of oil in a pan & heat on the high flame.
- Once the oil is hot add marinated fish one by one, Be careful as there will be spluttering.
- Fry the fish well on both sides. Once fish is fried well, put out from oil and keep aside.
- Using the same oil, add Fenugreek seeds and bay leaves, wait for a while.
- Once it becomes light brown, add onion & garlic and keep them frying until golden brown.
- Add salt, coriander powder, red chili powder and mix well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, green chilies, ginger paste, garlic paste and fry them well till everything mix with each other.
- Once all the spices are fried, add two cups of water.
- As soon as the water comes at boiling level ,add all fried fish pieces in it, but slowly as fish is soft and it may break.
- Close the pan with a lid and keep it in low flame for 15 minutes. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Our Delicious Bengali Fish Curry is ready. Enjoy with White Rice, as Authentic Bengali's do. This dish is famous in entire West Bengal and Odisha (Indian States). You should also like it.
Let us know how you like this article. Like it and Rate it below.
Here is a very simple and easy recipe for making spicy gram flour pancakes that are delicious and nutritious at the same time. Apart from being tasty, these besan cheela also make for a good filling meal for the day..
Every one loves to eat potato wafers. Here is the tested recipe for homemade potato chips.
To make fruit cake at home is a fun. So many fruits make this fruit cake recipe healthy and yummy.